The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Baker in Residence – Part-time Position (15-20 hours a week at $15 per hour).
Accepting applications on a rolling basis. We are looking to start the position as soon as possible and will be meeting with applicants as they apply.
About The Theatre Centre:
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a live arts hub and incubator, and a permanent home for the company.
Since that time, we’ve become known for establishing ourselves as a cultural & community hub in the heart of West Queen West. Always questioning the notion of “what can a theatre be?”, we are open and accessible every day of the week, providing a public space to the neighbourhood with free wifi, delicious coffee, and unbelievable baked goods, made in-house by our Baker-in-Residence. It’s the most dangerous thing about working here.
We continue to be known for having research & development at the heart of our artistic activities, through our long-term Residency Program. Currently among our 6 Residency companies are a choreographer, a performance artist, and a neurologist in residence. No two projects are alike.
About the Job:
Now it’s your turn to be the most dangerous thing about working here! The Baker-in-Residence position at The Theatre Centre Café & Bar is a great opportunity to work part-time (15-20 hrs/week) in a supportive, creative, artist-driven environment providing baked goods for our lively public space. This position is both collaborative and self-directed, providing lots of opportunity for experimentation, and growing skills with the support of our café staff team. You will be designing a café menu of baked goods that reflects your own creativity and the needs of our busy artists’ hub.
The Baker-in-Residence duties include:
- Designing and implementing a weekly baking menu of staple items, including sweet and savoury options
- Introducing new items seasonally and in collaboration with staff/customer feedback
- Coordinating grocery shopping lists
- Keeping track of inventory and making orders for staple products
- Keeping kitchen and pantry in clean, DineSafe condition
- Preparing baked goods for special events in addition to typical café volume
- Exploring your own creativity, knowledge and community network within your work!
- Ability to bake a variety of delicious food options meeting the needs of the cafe’s weekly volume
- Interest in experimentation & innovation
- Excellent ability to work tidily
- Collaborative spirit
- Strong communication skills, giving and receiving feedback
- Knowledge of food safety and Food Handling Certification
- Strong organizational skills and ability to plan ahead
Rate of Pay:
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname.pdf and include Baker in Residence in the subject line.
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirited people, Indigenous, Inuit & Métis, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
We thank all applicants who submit resumes for The Theatre Centre postings. Personal responses to inquiries are not possible, and only those considered for an interview will be contacted.