The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Business Development Director
The deadline to apply is Friday, September 8th, 5pm EST.
About The Theatre Centre:
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a live arts hub and incubator, and a permanent home for the company.
Since that time, we’ve become known for establishing ourselves as a cultural & community hub in the heart of West Queen West. Always questioning the notion of “what can a theatre be?”, we are open and accessible every day of the week, providing a public space to the neighbourhood with free wifi, delicious coffee, and unbelievable baked goods, made in-house by our Baker-in-Residence. It’s the most dangerous thing about working here.
We continue to be known for having research & development at the heart of our artistic activities, through our long-term Residency Program. Recently among our 6 Residency companies have been a choreographer, a performance artist, and a neurologist. No two projects are alike.
We are currently seeking a Business Development Director to join our collaborative leadership team.
• To work with the Artistic Director and in consultation with the board and fundraising committee, to research and implement a fundraising strategy for the company.
• To work with the Artistic Director and Creative Producer to liaise with the company’s current funding bodies, and to seek out further opportunities for investment.
• To develop and oversee the delivery of the individual giving scheme.
• To support the Artistic Director and BOUNCE committee to achieve financial goals set for the annual fundraising event.
• To work closely with the Fundraising Committee by providing advice, leads, coordinating meetings and providing regular status updates and reports.
• To monitor, update and produce regular management accounts and other financial reporting documents including cash flow.
• To manage and establish effective systems for managing income, expenditure and cash flow on a daily basis.
• To work closely, as necessary, with the Director of Facilities & Production to oversee contracting of rental companies for the Franco Boni Theatre, and the BMO Incubator for Live Arts.
• To supervise the maintenance of company databases, including general public, VIP, funders and venues.
• To be responsible for the overall day-to-day HR function and the development of employment policies and practices with input as appropriate from the Artistic Director and Creative Producer.
• To supervise freelance and short-term contract staff as appropriate.
• Complete other duties as required
• Minimum 5 years of arts management experience in the non-profit arts sector, with demonstrated success in revenue generation;
• An understanding of – and a passion for – the artistic work of The Theatre Centre, and its role in the live performance ecology;
• Excellent writing and communication skills;
• A “can do” attitude and a willingness to go above and beyond when necessary;
• Ability to learn quickly, think on your feet, and adapt easily to new environments;
• Attention to detail and an ability to maintain focus in fast-paced work environment, while maintaining an eye on a larger picture;
• Ability to work collaboratively within a dedicated team.
Commensurate with experience.
Start date is flexible for the right candidate.
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirited people, First Nations, Inuit & Métis, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
The Theatre Centre is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname.pdf.
We thank all applicants who submit resumes for The Theatre Centre postings. Personal responses to inquiries are not possible, and only those considered for an interview will be contacted.