The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Assistant Café/Bar Manager – Permanent Position
Deadline to apply is Monday, November 19
About The Theatre Centre:
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a live arts hub and incubator, and a permanent home for the company.
Since that time, we’ve become known for establishing ourselves as a cultural & community hub in the heart of West Queen West. Always questioning the notion of “what can a theatre be?”, we are open and accessible every day of the week, providing a public space to the neighbourhood with free wifi, delicious coffee, and unbelievable baked goods, made in-house by our Baker-in-Residence. It’s the most dangerous thing about working here.
We continue to be known for having research & development at the heart of our artistic activities, through our long-term Residency Program. Currently among our 6 Residency companies are a choreographer, a performance artist, and a neurologist in residence. No two projects are alike.
We are currently seeking an Assistant Café/Bar Manager. Reporting to the Cafe/Bar Curator and Manager, this position requires approximately 25-30 hours a week of availability.
- Daily operations of the Café – duties including: excellent customer service, excellent barista skills, food preparation, cash management, opening and closing of facility
- Developing relationships with customers and creating a warm inviting atmosphere
- Develop and maintain relationships with suppliers
- Willingness to expand coffee culture and food culture knowledge
- Management of Cafe Social Media Accounts
- Assist with Management of part-time Café staff
- Communicate with the Cafe/Bar Curator and Manager about the maintenance and repair of the Café machines and equipment
- Work with senior management to monitor Café operations budgets
- Weekly ordering of supplies including groceries, milk, beer and alcohol and coffee supplies
- Coordinate Health & Safety training and ensure the company is compliant with applicable legislation relating to Food and Beverage health & safety
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team to support programs, events, and the community mandate at The Theatre Centre
- Working directly with Cafe/Bar Curator and Manager to coordinate food and drink service for special events
- Oversee the sales of art and objects in the Objectorium
- Complete other duties as required
- Extensive background in restaurant/café management experience
- Good knowledge of Ontario Health & Safety policies and practises
- Good knowledge of Ontario Liquor Licence Bureau laws and regulations
- Smart Serve Qualified
- Food Handler Certified
- Excellent written, communication, and organizational skills
- Valid Ontario drivers’ licence and access to a vehicle would be an asset
- Interest in performing arts and non-profit sector is an asset
Rate of pay: Hourly, commensurate with experience
Start date is December 3, 2018
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirited people, First Nations, Inuit & Métis, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Liza Paul. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname.pdf.
We thank all applicants who submit resumes for The Theatre Centre postings. Personal responses to inquiries are not possible, and only those considered for an interview will be contacted.