We’ve had a pretty big year here at The Theatre Centre in 2018/19. We celebrated 40 years as a company, and 5 years in our new home. We also said goodbye to our long-time General & Artistic Director, Franco Boni. Having worked so closely with Franco over the last 5 years, I’m sad to have lost my partner-in-crime, but I am truly excited about this next phase ahead.
For me, taking on the role of General & Artistic Director of The Theatre Centre is a huge honour and privilege, and a responsibility to our community. I look forward to this opportunity to carry our vision forward, to build upon our solid foundation, and to explore The Theatre Centre’s enormous potential. I hope to always be guided by our team’s shared principle of generosity.
Throughout this time of transition, our commitment to artists and to community has never wavered. As we prepare to close out 2018/19, I ask you to please consider making a donation to help us finish the year strong.
When you give to The Theatre Centre, your support goes directly to the artists and community members who are at the heart of everything we do. Now, when you donate, your support will go even further. Our Board of Directors will be matching donations up to $10,000 until June 30th, so give now and double your impact!
Finally, stay tuned for an upcoming invitation to join us for a meal in July (because everything great happens with food), where we’ll announce our 2019/20 year of programming. I hope you can join us!
Thank you for your support.
Artistic Director, The Theatre Centre
A reminder of some of the incredible things that made up 2018/19 at The Theatre Centre:
The Theatre Centre Creates:
• Ongoing works in development with our Residency Artists Suvendrini Lena and the On ECT Collective, Ian Kamau, Stewart Legere and the Accidental Mechanics, Rimah Jabr, and Jennifer Tarver with Michael Kusugak and Christine Duncan.
The Theatre Centre Produces:
• Dora-nominated run of Secret Life of a Mother with the SLOM Collective
• Punctuate! Theatre’s Dora-nominated After the Fire, in Association with The Theatre Centre
• Jani Lauzon’s Prophecy Fog directed by outgoing Artistic Director Franco Boni, in co-production with Paper Canoe Projects, in Association with Nightswimming
The Theatre Centre Presents:
• Selina Thompson’s salt. at Progress with Why Not Theatre
• ILBIJERRI Theatre Company’s Blood on the Dance Floor at Progress with Native Earth Performing Arts
• LODHO’s Kitchen Chicken – a huge hit with audiences – plus chicken!
The Theatre Centre Moves:
• Daughter was a huge hit at both the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and the Syndey Festival (marking our third year in a row in Australia)
• Sea Sick completed its 2nd Ontario Tour
• Performances in progress with Residency artist Ian Kamau in Montreal at La Chappelle
• This is the Point toured to the PuSh Festival in Vancouver, and throughout Ontario
• Monday Nights was presented at Luminato as part of our Residents Project partnership
The Theatre Centre Shares:
• A series of beautiful community events with Nova Bhattacharya, as part of our Long Term Relationship
• Ongoing series of Late Night programming curated by Liza Paul, including Anti-Token Comedy, Something New open mic, and live music and DJ nights.
• Community Meals
• The Night Shift – check us out on CBC’s Here & Now
• A community gathering space for the May 1 General Strike
• Free childcare during performances of Secret Life of a Mother
• Ongoing Condo Project activities like our Fully Furnished program