Feature for one of the posts

New Home: Construction Vocab

We are expanding our vocabularies with new construction and architectural terms every day, so we decided we’d give you a chance to expand yours! Here is our new construction reference – we’ll be adding new terms as we go.

lin·tel  noun   (ˈlin-təl)

– a horizontal architectural member spanning and usually carrying the load above an opening

Look up lintel on Wikipedia

shor•ing  noun  (ˈʃɔr ɪŋ, ˈʃoʊr-)

– a number or system of shores for steadying or supporting a wall, a ship in drydock, etc.
– the act or operation of propping with shores

Look up shoring on Wikipedia

un·der·pin·ning  noun   (ˈən-dər-ˌpi-niŋ)

– the material and construction (as a foundation) used for support of a structure
– something that serves as a foundation

Look up underpinning on Wikipedia

cais·son  noun  (ˈkā-ˌsän, -sən)

– a watertight chamber used in construction work under water or as a foundation

Look up caisson on Wikipedia

mill·work  noun  (mil-werk)

– Woodwork, such as doors, window casings, and baseboards, ready-made by a lumber mill.

Look up millwork on Wikipedia

bol·lard  noun  (ˈbä-lərd)

– A short, thick, strong vertical post.

Look up bollard on Wikipedia

cur·ing  gerund of cure (verb)  (kjʊə-riŋ)

– the process that promotes hardening of (concrete)

Look up curing concrete on Wikipedia

sis·ter·ing noun (ˈsis-tə-riŋ)

– the process of setting a new piece of wood against an old piece to strenghten it. Typically done with joists, rafters, or studs.