The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Technical Director – deadline to apply is Monday, September 21, 2015
About The Theatre Centre:
Established in 1979, The Theatre Centre is one of Canada’s leading incubators and presenters of contemporary live performance. We provide artists from a range of disciplines with the space, funding, mentorship, profile, and community they need to develop new work and new ways of working.
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a live arts hub and incubator, and a permanent home for the company. Since that time, we have staged and supported over 25 in-house and rental productions, and 3 festival hubs. We have provided over 1000 hours of free space for community events & workshops, and we have partnered with 35 local, national & international organizations.
We are currently seeking a Technical Director to help us manage the operations of our rapidly growing organization. Reporting directly to the General & Artistic Director and General Manager, this position for an experienced technician works closely with all of The Theatre Centre’s mainstage productions, guest companies, and special events happening at The Theatre Centre, located at 1115 Queen Street West, in the heart of the vibrant West Queen West community.
- Running lighting and sound aspects of all theatre productions.
- Working with production management and production designers to facilitate the install and setup of all related production lighting, sound and video equipment.
- Participating in construction of any lighting and sound special effects required by productions
- Maintaining all lighting, sound and video equipment to the highest possible standards. Additionally helping to maintain the physical plant of the venue itself and its adjacent storage areas.
- Maintaining well-documented records and archives of show materials and show tracks.
- Supervising casual lighting and sound crews during focus, hang, note sessions and strikes. Staff supervision and management of all production components.
- Producing costing of labor and materials estimates based on preliminary and final designs.
- Adhering to production schedules, budgets, and safety standards and practice.
- Coordinating the resolution of technical problems and execution of contingency plans, as needed.
- This role works closely with The Theatre Centre’s Director of Facility & Production and may include occasional responsibilities as required for Theatre Centre productions including production design and management, sourcing and purchasing of materials and rentals, carpentry, etc.
- 3-5 years experience as a space technician
- Some production management and or technical direction experience
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work with and direct a crew
- High level of flexibility & willingness to work with a team to accomplish a goal
- Good spirit of generosity & collaboration – our goal, in general, is to “find a way”
This is a full time, salaried position with an annual salary range from $35,000 – $37,000.
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, First Nations, transgender, two-spirited, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname.pdf.
We thank all applicants who submit resumes for The Theatre Centre postings. Personal responses to inquiries are not possible, and only those considered for an interview will be contacted.