The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Manager of Artist & Community Activation –
deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 16, 2016
About The Theatre Centre:
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a live arts hub and incubator, and a permanent home for the company.
Since that time, we’ve become known for establishing ourselves as a cultural & community hub in the heart of West Queen West. Always questioning the notion of “what can a theatre be?”, we are open and accessible every day of the week, providing a public space to the neighbourhood with free wifi, delicious coffee, and unbelievable baked goods, made in-house by our Baker-in-Residence. It’s the most dangerous thing about working here.
We continue to be known for having research & development at the heart of our artistic activities, through our long-term Residency Program. Currently among our 6 Residency companies are a choreographer, a performance artist, and a scientist in residence. No two projects are alike.
We are currently seeking a new Manager of Artist & Community Activation to play an integral role in the success of our rapidly transforming organization. Reporting directly to the General Manager and working closely with General & Artistic Director, this role is responsible for the overall communications and outreach strategy for the organization.
The Manager of Artist & Community Activation will:
- Work closely with our artists to strategize creative methods for connecting new works with new audiences;
- Manage our Teens in Residence program, in partnership with Mammalian Diving Reflex;
- Collaborate with our Cafe/Bar Curator & Manager on City of Craft “Sidestreets” curations & installations
- Manage & oversee Upper Gallery curations & installations
- Create and lead individual outreach plans, including ancillary activities, related community events (including our monthly Community Meals), talks and enhanced programming;
- Participate in long range strategizing for our Social Discourse Incubator that may include the creation of community-based pilot projects in nearby condos, schools, institutions, charitable organizations, etc. within priority partnerships;
- Play a key role in the continuous activation of The Theatre Centre’s spaces;
- Work collaboratively on strategy to promote the company’s productions and messaging to audiences, communities, and donors;
- Develop & manage communications strategies involving media in all its forms;
- Disrupt everything mentioned above, and how it’s currently being done.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a community, education, and/or arts outreach capacity;
- Experience in programming & planning;
- An understanding of – and a passion for – the artistic work of The Theatre Centre, and its role in the live performance ecology;
- A “can do” attitude and a willingness to go above and beyond when necessary;
- Ability to learn quickly, think on your feet, and adapt easily to new environments, challenges, and opportunities;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit arts sector.
This is a full time, salaried position with an annual salary range from $35,000 – $38,000.
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirited people, First Nations, Inuit & Métis, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname.pdf.
We thank all applicants who submit resumes for The Theatre Centre postings. Personal responses to inquiries are not possible, and only those considered for an interview will be contacted.