The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Venue Coordinator Trainee – deadline to apply is 5pm, Wednesday April 4, 2016.
About The Theatre Centre:
Established in 1979, The Theatre Centre is one of Canada’s leading incubators and presenters of contemporary live performance. Located in the vibrant West Queen West neighbourhood, we provide artists – from a range of disciplines – with the space, funding, mentorship, profile, and community they need to develop new work and new ways of working.
In 2012, we began renovating the historic Carnegie Library building at 1115 Queen St. West, which we transformed into a vibrant, accessible, live-arts-hub.
We are currently seeking a Venue Coordinator Trainee to help us manage this new space. Reporting to and training with the General Manager, and the Director of Facilities & Productions, this position will assist with the management of our two performance venues, and our facility as a whole.
This is a full-time, year-long position, funded by Miziwe Biik, Aboriginal Employment & Training.
Candidate must be registered with Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training (First Nations, Inuit or Métis background) and have been recently unemployed or underemployed. Please self-identify in your application.
- Assist the General Manager with venue rental contracts, and liaising with artists representing a range of relationships including rentals, co-productions, in-association productions, and presentations
- Assist with Director of Facilities and Productions’ administrative coding and filing
- Help maintain a supplies schedule for consumables at the theatre while shadowing Director of Facilities and Productions
- Monitor and maintain the supplier database
- Work with the Director of Facilities and Productions to train on venue preparation and maintenance
- Train with the General Manager, and Director of Facilities and Production to get a good sense of production communication and planning from initial space request to final production
- Attend meetings with residency artists and learn about creativity within building management
- This is an entry-level position; the successful candidate’s defining characteristics will be a strong work ethic and a pronounced interest in their training. Training will always be in close contact with the General Manager, as well as the Director of Facilities and Productions until the trainee demonstrates comfort and aptitude for further responsibilities.
- Good organization habits
- An interest in venue and production management, especially as it pertains to theatre or performing arts would be an asset
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel; Email)
How To Apply:
Please submit a pdf of your cover letter and resume by email to: email@example.com by 5pm, Wednesday April 4th, 2016. Please save pdfs as LastnameFirstname.pdf, and include Venue Coordinator Trainee in the subject line.
There is an additional form to complete for Miziwe Biik, Aboriginal Employment & Training Services. We will send this form to eligible applicants upon receipt of your cover letter & resume.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone or walk in inquiries will be accepted. All applications are considered confidential. The Theatre Centre is an equal opportunity employer.
Position is subject to Government Funding