The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Director of Facilities & Production –
deadline to apply is midnight, Thursday, August 18, 2016
About The Theatre Centre:
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a live arts hub and incubator, and a permanent home for the company.
Since that time, we’ve become known for establishing ourselves as a cultural & community hub in the heart of West Queen West. Always questioning the notion of “what can a theatre be?”, we are open and accessible every day of the week, providing a public space to the neighbourhood with free wifi, delicious coffee, and unbelievable baked goods, made in-house by our Baker-in-Residence. It’s the most dangerous thing about working here.
We continue to be known for having research & development at the heart of our artistic activities, through our long-term Residency Program. Currently among our 6 Residency companies are a choreographer, a performance artist, and a neurologist in residence. No two projects are alike.
We are currently seeking a Director of Facilities and Production to help us manage our beautiful home in the recently renovated Carnegie Library. Reporting to the Artistic Director and General Manager, this is a full time, salaried position.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of the facility
- Work with senior management to develop and monitor building operations budgets
- Contract and supervise the cleaning, maintenance, and security of the space
- Schedule and plan the cleaning, repair and annual maintenance of all building components
- Act as company liaison and maintain all service contracts for the building including fire alarm monitoring, life safety systems, HVAC, elavators, and all other utilities
- Source/order all necessities for security systems, life safety systems, maintenance, and cleaning
- Coordinate Health & Safety training and ensure the company is compliant with applicable legislation relating to health & safety, and accessibility
- Develop policies related to the safe and efficient operating of the facility, including Fire Safety, and Health & Safety, in conjunction with other senior management
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team to support programs, events, and the educational mandate at The Theatre Centre
- Complete other duties as required
- Plan season and production schedules, collaborating with other departments
- Develop and monitor budgets, with senior management, for all productions and presentations, and production overhead
- Contract and supervise production staff and stage management
- Supervise theatre bookings, rentals, and production builds for external clients
- Ensure all production personnel are well trained, all activities in the production department are handled in a safe and responsible manner, and that the performance spaces are well maintained
- Ensure that the production department is compliant with the provincial Employment Standards Act, and other relevant Ontario Ministry of Labour and Ontario Human Rights legislation
- Complete other duties as required
- Extensive background in all aspects of theatrical production, with a minimum of 5 years production management experience
- Good knowledge of and experience with theatre collective agreements and Health & Safety policies
- Experience in the managing of a performing arts facility would be an asset
- Excellent written, communication, and organizational skills
- Valid Ontario drivers’ licence would be an asset
- Basic carpentry skills would be an asset
$43,000 per year
Start date is flexible for the right candidate.
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirited people, First Nations, Inuit & Métis, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname.pdf.
We thank all applicants who submit resumes for The Theatre Centre postings. Personal responses to inquiries are not possible, and only those considered for an interview will be contacted.