The Theatre Centre is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Café/Bar Manager – Maternity Leave Position
Deadline to apply is FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2017
About The Theatre Centre:
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a live arts hub and incubator, and a permanent home for the company.
Since that time, we’ve become known for establishing ourselves as a cultural & community hub in the heart of West Queen West. Always questioning the notion of “what can a theatre be?”, we are open and accessible every day of the week, providing a public space to the neighbourhood with free wifi, delicious coffee, and unbelievable baked goods, made in-house by our Baker-in-Residence. It’s the most dangerous thing about working here.
We continue to be known for having research & development at the heart of our artistic activities, through our long-term Residency Program. Currently among our 6 Residency companies are a choreographer, a performance artist, and a neurologist in residence. No two projects are alike.
We are currently seeking a Café/Bar Manager for a one-year contract to fulfill a maternity leave position. Reporting to the Artistic Director and General Manager, this is a full time, salaried position.
- Daily management and operations of the Café – duties including: excellent customer service, excellent barista skills, food preparation, cash management, opening and closing of facility
- Act as Theatre Centre Community Ambassador – developing relationships with customers and creating a warm inviting atmosphere
- Develop and maintain relationships with suppliers
- Management and overseeing of Newcomer Café training program. This program is designed to train one Syrian newcomer over a 3-month period in café management and barista skills as a means to gain further Canadian employment.
- Work with the Baker in Residence to develop new offerings for café and special events
- Willingness to expand coffee culture and food culture knowledge
- Management of part-time Café staff:
- Responsible for training
- Contract and supervise new hires
- Lead by example and inspire staff
- Overseeing and evaluation of part-time staff employment
- Frequent communication with staff to assist with their operation
- Manage the maintenance and repair of the Café machines and equipment
- Manage the maintenance of Café space in conversation with Director of Facilities
- Work with senior management to develop and monitor Café operations budgets
- Overseeing and managing Liquor license
- Weekly financial reporting
- Weekly ordering of supplies including groceries, milk, beer and alcohol and coffee supplies
- Coordinate Health & Safety training and ensure the company is compliant with applicable legislation relating to Food and Beverage health & safety
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team to support programs, events, and the community mandate at The Theatre Centre
- Working directly with Manager of Community Activation to program SideStreets and The Objectorium
- Oversee the sales of art and objects in the Objectorium
- Coordinate and oversee Event Management duties when necessary
- Liaising between catering companies and clients
- Complete other duties as required
- Extensive background in restaurant/café management experience
- Good knowledge of Ontario Health & Safety policies and practises
- Good knowledge of Ontario Liquor Licence Bureau laws and regulations
- Smart Serve Qualified
- Food Handler Certified (or willingness to obtain it)
- Excellent written, communication, and organizational skills
- Valid Ontario drivers’ licence and access to a vehicle would be an asset
$ 36,000 per year
Start date is Monday February 20th, 2017 or Monday February 27th, 2017.
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirited people, First Nations, Inuit & Métis, people of colour, and people with disabilities.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname.pdf.
We thank all applicants who submit resumes for The Theatre Centre postings. Personal responses to inquiries are not possible, and only those considered for an interview will be contacted.